Kingshill, A Grade II Listed Building in Eastleach Martin, Gloucestershire
Greenbury House, now known as Kingshill, was built at the top of the hill overlooking the crossing point of the river Leach and preserved the name Greenbury that was recorded in the year 1303 and presumably refers to an earthwork built to command the crossing.
EASTLEACH EASTLEACH TURVILLE
(previously listed as Greenberry House)
Large detached house. South part probably mid-late C17, dated R.D.B. 1738, restored 1955; north part added c1830.
Coursed rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two parallel ranges with link; 2-storey with attic. South front: long restored range with recessed chamfered mullioned casements of 2, 3 and 4 lights. Central C20 gabled porch.
Two ridge-mounted ashlar chimneys with plain caps. East end: gable end of restored
south range to left with datestone and C18 or C19 ‘medieval’ chimney used as finial.
Parapet gabled end of north range to right
has cusped traceried Gothick fenestration of Decorated and Perpendicular type, 3 in canted crenellated ground floor bay window, 4-light to upper floor and attic 3-light without cusping to intersecting tracery.
North side: stone 2-light casement to c1830
wing; eaves-mounted chimney with moulded cap. Projecting gabled wing to rear of south range; lower part to right links with early
C19 former barn, now garages.
Interior: high moulded ceiling to main room of Gothick addition, with matching panelled door and marble fireplace.
Stained glass is said to have come from Tewkesbury Abbey. Unusual bolection moulded architrave to nearby doorway has Chinese-style painting, now slightly damaged.
Important position overlooking Leach valley.
Medieval chimney, possibly associated with house, stands in garden to south east (q.v.).
(N.M. Herbert, ‘Eastleach Turville’ in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp.
61-69; A.P. Ledger, Eastleach Martin and Eastleach Turville, 1974; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SP2001905323