This Grade II listed Old Rectory with its organic garden has been developed over the past 40 years and is in a very tranquil setting on the banks of a mill race, with the River Coln running through the gardens. The wooden bridge that spans the river encapsulates the quirky spirit of fun, creativity and history that comes together at Quenington. The history of the site probably stretches back to the 12th century, when the Knights Hospitaller had a preceptory in the village.
Esme Bradburne, a former head gardener, who read Agriculture at Oxford, was one of the original founder members of the Soil Association. The garden is still run completely on organic lines and Esme’s work was seminal in creating much of the planting that we see today. Although the present layout goes back to 1928 when the Old Rectory was bought from the church.
There are herbaceous borders, mature trees, pool and bog gardens, as well as the large vegetable garden. The garden contains a permanent sculpture display.