The former Alms houses is now a row of three cottages with a prominent place at the top of the village.
Historic England, describes them as follows: Former almshouses, now row of 3 houses. 1871 for T.S. Bazley.
Coursed rock-faced rubble limestone; rubble chimneys with ashlar tops; red clay tile roofs. Single-storey.
Front: central and 2 end parapet gables to projecting end wings.
Pointed trefoil headed panel to central gable:
‘THE GIFT OF WILLIAM ATKINSON IN MEMORY OF ROBERT GARDNER’.
Cross window with flat hoodmould to end gables; 2-light mullioned casements to main range. Four projecting vertical boarded gabled porches with original plank doors and leaded side windows.
Three ridge-mounted chimneys with rounded corners to ashlar shafts.
The Alms Houses were erected to the memory of Robert Gardner, c.1786 Born in Lancashire
1829 Started partnership with Thomas Bazley as Gardner and Bazley to manage 2 mills
1841 A cotton spinner, living in Eccles with his daughters Anne 15 and Elizabeth 14
1847 Left the partnership with Bazley
1851 Living in Pendleton with his daughter Elizabeth